- NAME of event: "Skirting Around The Textile Arts - From Michelin Man To Site-Specific Installations” by artist Karen Rifas
- DATE of event: Tuesday, October 20, 2015
- TIME of event: Reception 5:15 pm; Lecture 6pm
- LOCATION of event: Denius Student Center, Hartley Room (Florida Tech Main Campus)
- ADDRESS of the location: Florida Institute of Technology, 150 W. University Blvd., Melbourne, FL 32901
- PHONE NUMBER for public use: 321-674-8313
About the Speaker:
Karen Rifas was born in Chicago and lives and works in Miami. She received her MFA from the University of Miami and has taught at many institutions including New World School of the Arts and the University of Miami. Rifas’ body of work includes site- specific installations using materials such as stitched leaves, cords, cable and household paint; content centered exhibitions which deal with environmental, political and social issues; and conceptual drawings.
Rifas has been awarded a South Florida Cultural Consortium and two Florida Visual Arts Fellowships and her work is in the collections of Perez Art Museum Miami (PAMM), Museum of Contemporary Art North Miami, Museum of Art, Ft. Lauderdale and Museo de Arte de Ponce, Puerto Rico.